Happy birthday, October babies! You have two birthstone options this month – opal and tourmaline. Learn more about the history and legend of each of these stones with a few fun facts:
Interesting Opal Facts
- Historically, opals were included in crowns and other royal jewelry as the glittering orbs were thought to protect the ruler who wore them.
- In 2008, opals were found on Mars! This discovery helped support NASA’s theory that life once existed on mars, as opals are created with water.
- In Australian aboriginal legend, the opal was born when the creator of the earth stepped down at the base of a rainbow, in order to bring peace and balance to the people below.
- Unlike other precious stones, an opal is judged primarily for its brilliance, color and clarity, rather than its size.
- In addition to October birthdays, opals are the gemstone associated with wedding anniversaries for the 14th and 18th years of marriage.
Interesting Tourmaline Facts
- The word “tourmaline” comes from the Sri Lankan word meaning “mixed colors,” indicative of the stone’s multi-colored appearance.
- The Egyptians coveted tourmaline for its supposed healing powers. Today, it is still said to promote health and creative expression in the wearer.
- Tourmaline can be found worldwide. In the United States, tourmaline has been discovered in Maine, California and North Carolina.
- Tourmaline is the traditional stone given for an 8th anniversary gift.
- One colorful iteration of tourmaline is known as the watermelon gemstone – this occurs in a particular color pattern of the stone, where it appears to be green on the outer edges, and pink on the inside.
For all of your birthday, anniversary, and other gemstone needs, stop by Gold Unlimited. Our selection of vintage jewelry offers all you need for every occasion.
[button size=” style=” text=’Learn More’ icon=” icon_color=” link=’http://goldunlimitedsa.com/selection/’ target=’_self’ color=” hover_color=” border_color=” hover_border_color=” background_color=” hover_background_color=” font_style=” font_weight=” text_align=” margin=”]